Friday, November 13, 2009

Plotkin's Opera 101

The second it arrived from Amazon I devoured Fred Plotkin's Opera 101: A complete Guide to Learning and Loving Opera.

I still haven't finished the chapter on 400 years of opera, but thoroughly enjoyed the chapter on becoming a cognoscente. It provided so much useful information about terminology, and how operas work. I immediately got certain terms, such as soubrette, lyric soprano, coloratura, and basso buffo (the second I heard that term, I knew it referred to the older men in Il Barbiere), and think that having a rudimentary vocabulary is definitely going to help my ear in the future.

The second half of the book details specific operas for which he suggests specific recordings. I haven't bitten into this yet, but am certain it will be an important resource going forward. For instance, I intend to see Les Contes d'Hoffmann live in HD at BAM next month, and will definitely read his description before hand. I may even purchase the recording he recommends and listen to it before going (a practice he firmly advocates). I haven't done that yet. It will be interesting to compare my experience of an opera that I've heard prior to going.

One slight bone I have to pick with him regards supertitles. I understand his stance against them, as one's eye does flick back and forth between the titles and the action, and I can appreciate that it has diminished my attunement to the music. But I have found that following the words drew me in more deeply, and until I am much more familiar with opera in general and specific operas in particular, I think I would feel alienated from the experience without the titles. But, maybe the second time I see something I will give that a try.

Also, I think the book would benefit from a short glossary.

_________________________________________________________

Audio book version

I am not done with the book either, but thought I might as well add a bit about the audio version.

I downloaded Opera 101 right about the time we went to the opera in Red Hook. In other words, early in this journey. I was a bit smug having just the purchased the version of Rigoletto (Sutherland, Pavarotti, Milnes; London Symphony Orchestra) Plotkin uses as his introductory opera!

My inspiration to listen to Rigoletto came while reading: La Bella Lingua: My Love Affair with Italian, the World's Most Enchanting Language by Dianne Hales. I have been trying (rather unsuccessfully) to learn Italian and this book is a delightful look at the process of learning the language. Hales references the oh-so-hum-a-long-able La Donna e Mobile. I looked it up on itunes and recognized one singer -- Pavarotti. After that few second preview listen, I went for it. My first opera download!

The problem with the audio version of Opera 101 is that one can not read the text and listen to the opera at the same time if you are using itunes. It's also impossible to back reference. I really miss having lists and glossaries, and frankly, pictures! Well, I am assuming there must be pictures.

I had taken a hiatus from listening to the book for about a month and went back to it tonight. I love to listen to audio books while I work in the studio!

Tonight I was working on a version of my own drawing on a canvas tote bag for The Future Figure on view at Figureworks Gallery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn through December 20, 2009.




Both are done in nib pen and ink. The full drawing is about 6" wide.

If you enjoy audio books, you might enjoy hearing Plotkin read his own work. And then you get to multi-task in the studio while you learn about opera!

I think Opera 101 is an excellent introduction for an opera novice. I recomend it!

Love, Meridita

PS: Can it really be true that in Germany at intermission the audience members walk around the lobby to get exercise? I think I would find myself much more simpatico with the wine sipping flirtatious Italians!



No comments:

Post a Comment