Friday, November 13, 2009

Opera on Tap at Freddy's Bar & Back Room

Last night was stupendous. Meridita and I went to see Opera on Tap perform at Freddy's Bar and Back Room on Dean Street in Prospect Heights.

This group of performers really blew me away. There were about 8 different singers, all with powerful and beautiful voices. Each sang twice and they all dramatically entered each of their arias, and are each uniquely talented.

One thing that was a real treat was hearing opera sung in English and German. I had been (and still was to some degree) resistant to hearing this type of music sung in those languages. Hearing the words in English is a completely different experience, a bit more "mundane" or less romantic. However, I began to get into it, and felt that I could appreciate what it must be like to understand Italian while listening to Puccini, for example. I now feel primed to listen to an English opera.

The German was less daunting, but a little strange on the ears. There were a couple of hard "Ks" in there that jarred me a bit. But, I eventually entered this world as well.

I was also pleased that after reading Plotkin on the different types of sopranos that I could distinguish between a lyric soprano and a soubrette.

______________________________________________________________

Opera at Freddy's
Diana and I went to hear Opera on Tap in the back room of Freddy's.
A total dive, but the singing was superb.



This was an encore number which featured the cinder block in the air for the entire aria!!


Italian and French opera seem to be our languages of preference at this point.

The soap dispenser in the bathroom also dispenses advice:


May I suggest trying an opera or two while you are at it!?

Love, Meridita

No comments:

Post a Comment