Friday, November 13, 2009

Joyce DiDonato, Rossini Opera Arias 2009

Meridita and I were privileged to see the wonderful mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato in her signature role as Rossina in Il Barbiere di Siviglia.

Yesterday afternoon I downloaded a new recording of her singing Rossini arias, and so far I've listened to it twice.

Her voice and the music are really delightful. I mean, delight is the word that best describes my experience. It's a pleasure to listen to.


______________________________________________________________

"Music, not magic, is the cure..."
Music and the Myth of Arcadia in Renaissance Italy, Giuseppe Gerbino


I lay on the couch listening to Joyce DiDonato's Rossini: Colbran The Muse (Opera Arias) as I recovered from a raw carrot allergy. The music was almost as effective as the Benadryl.

I flitted in and out of my antihistamine driven stupor thinking how DiDonato's voice sounds to me like a soaring bird -- swooping, diving, in trills and twists and turns. Just beautiful!

xo Meridita


No comments:

Post a Comment