Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Official Converts: Madama Butterfly on HD at Lincoln Center, September 2009

Written at the time: Last night a couple of friends and I went to Lincoln Center to watch an outdoors High Definition screening of Madama Butterfly on a huge screen.

This was the first full opera I ever watched, and I loved it. Loved it. I was riveted. I had read the synopsis on line before, and the production included subtitles, which was very helpful. And I just got so caught up in the beautiful music and emotion. It was a wonderful evening.

Patricia Racette played "Cio-Cio San" (Madama Butterfly), and her performance was amazing. She had to carry the whole show.

I think I'm now officially an opera convert!

Addendum: Marcello Giordani was a wonderful, beautiful, arrogant Pinkerton

_________________________________________________________

Great things are happening, signorina
(Also in HD at the MET the week before: Il Barbiere di Siviglia )


FIGARO Great things are happening, signorina.
ROSINA
Indeed?

FIGARO
Gran cose, sign
orina.
ROSINA
Sì, davvero?

Vado, vado, non gridate.
Meridita
(9/2/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment