Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Hysteria of the Night

“The musical drama may, in fact, have drawn into action innocent spectators who might otherwise have remained aloof from the hysteria of the night.” Slatin, Opera and Revolution



Plotkin talks about Musical Theater as the continuation of the operatic tradition. (I am sorry not to be able to provide a quote on this. I only have the audio book and one big down side is the inability to reference the text.)

Diana and I went to see South Pacific at Lincoln Center on Thursday night, then to Pirates of Penzance at City Center on Friday night. I’ve been thinking about these productions in comparison to all of the opera we’ve seen and, well, I think I may have fallen in love with the opera!

I grew up back stage. I am familiar with musical theater. Even still, I was surprised to find I know every song in South Pacific. Some Enchanted Evening as sung by Paulo Szot is a showstopper. But measuring many of the singers up to the operatic standards they seemed pedestrian. The female cast was particularly lack luster and without sex appeal. That said, we had a great time and I loved the painted cloud back drop!

Pirates of Penzance had stronger singers, but more than that, the audience made it a joyous experience. The French granny sitting next to me sang along (quite well), there were whoops and hollers and full out belly laughs throughout the performance. I really enjoyed the smart broad comedy. I left thinking I need to put Topsy Turvey on my Netflix list!

No comments:

Post a Comment