Sunday, January 10, 2010

Der Rosenkavalier (Live HD screening at BAM)

Jenn and I found an agitated Diana sitting in the lobby at BAM. “I tried to save us seats. We’ll be craning our necks but I did the best I could do. It’s packed. Oh, and by the way, we are by far the youngest people here.“

Thank goodness for Diana’s early arrival and seat saving. It got ugly – a near brawl erupted right behind us over seats just as the curtains were about to open.

Couple 1 (in the isle): “What do you mean you had no idea we were sitting there?"
Couple 2 (in the seats behind us): “Well, there was no one here.”
Couple 1: “Why do you think we left our things on the chair? We were in the restroom.”
Couple 2: “We didn’t know.”
Couple 1 (with increasing volume and agitation): “Just give us our coats…”
Down parkas handed down the isle.
Couple 1 (louder): “And hats.”
“And gloves…”
“And purse…”
“And scarf.”
Man beside couple 2 (with deep disgust): “You aught to be ashamed.”
Couple 2: “We didn’t know.”
Man beside: “Well, you do NOW.”

Yeah, and so does everyone else!

And now -- Der Rosenkavalier (Composer: Richard Strauss
Libretto by Hugo von Hofmannsthal)

I was more than a bit hesitant about a 5 hour German opera experience. And while this production has done nothing to increase my appreciation of the sound of German, I really loved this opera! The story was complex, relevant and deeply moving.



Renée Fleming was superb. Her singing is elegant and powerful, but what most compelled me was her evocative and complex acting. The rest of the cast was top notch but for me it was all about Ms. Fleming.

Fleming, who is renowned for her interpretations of the Marschallin in Der Rosenkavalier, elaborates on the role: “She’s endlessly fascinating. And I think I’m performing it now with more strength, less sentimentality, and I think that enables the audience to feel more.”

A really great part of the HD experience is that during intermission they film back stage. Watching the sets go up, interviews with the stars and staff as well as a tour and interview in the set/props department (my favorite part) really deepens ones appreciation for the level of the production and craft at The Metropolitan Opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment