Thursday, December 10, 2009

Opera Hits (Kultur Video, 1999)
























Opera Hits
(Kultur Video, 1999) is a strange and uneven "greatest hits" DVD. Perhaps I have been spoiled seeing such high quality live performances this year, but this hardly seemed to be crème de la crème.

It certainly is more mainstream than the bizarre Opera Fanatic. Yet I found the film production value sorely lacking. For example, throughout the first number "Largo al factotum" from Il Barbiere di Siviglia clunking footsteps are clearly audible.

There is a very short informational screen between each piece stating the specific opera, the site of the performance and the performers. That helped me identify what I felt were the highlights.

Performances at Teatro alla Scala in Milan get two of my top votes, one for best Divo: Jose Carreras. Carreras sings two pieces from Andrea Chénier with amazing passion and skill! The other pick, this time for best group effort, goes to the Chorus of La Scala performing Verdi's Nabucco. This was really weird and boring to watch – a large number of people wrapped in white swathing standing still, but such controlled and intense music!

The other stand out performance, my favorite Diva of the DVD, is Maria Ewing as Carmen at Glyndebourne festival. The odd bit of staging is the chorus is all smoking cigars. Yes, while they sing?! Weird. I think the gal Diana and I saw sing Carmen at the Open Mike at the Brooklyn Museum modeled her performance on Ewing. It worked for both of them!

Over all the film is a bit of a dud. I expect there must be better out there, I will keep looking (and watching) and let you know.

2 comments: